Thursday, November 13, 2008

I'm so excited!

Ok, so there are several things I have lined up to blog about, but this takes precedence...

I heard that when you are dealing with a long time separation, you should measure how far you've come, not how long you have left. So I wanted to come up with something that the girls would enjoy to keep track of how long Justin has been gone.

My first idea was to find something (had no idea what really) and put numbered vinyl stickers on it everyday. Then when we got to 365 Justin would be home. One of my friends (Abbey) owns a home decor store that specializes in all things Vinyl (at least that's my interpretation. I would put a link to a web page here, but I'm not sure she has one since her store opened. Abbey if you do, let me know the address. :) Anyway...I approached Abbey with my idea and then told her I thought I would like to frame a flag and put the stickers on the glass. She did me one better and said that she could make the stickers in the shape of stars with the numbers in the middle of the stars. Then she said what if the stickers made the flag? That sounded great to me; she emailed me a pic of what the stars would look like and I went out and found the perfect piece of wood. I found wood paneling that had little lines in it already, so I thought it would make it easier for the girls to keep the stickers in the right place. Abbey's husband Larry cut the paneling to the right size, and I picked everything up from Abbey's store today.

I'll stop talking about it now and just show you the pics.
The wood:

This gives you the idea of what it will look like, only the stripes will only be one row of stars.

Here are the cute stars.
Abbey had to figure out the right dimensions to get 365 stars to fit perfectly on the flag and then she had to weed all the numbers out of every star. I'm sure it was time consuming and a pain in the butt, but she did this and didn't charge me. She wasn't at the store when I picked it up, but I was informed that she just wanted to do this for me. She didn't have to do that, but I want to tell her thank you, so much. I'm so grateful for her input and great ideas; plus the time and energy that she put into it. I really appreciate it Abbey!
I'm so excited to get this started, but even more excited to get it finished. I wanted the last 50 numbered stars to be the blue ones, so it will be so fun to finish off that last part of the flag! I get to start it off with 28 stars already. Once I get them on I will post another picture.

11 comments:

Emily Asay said...

What a good idea--I love how optimistic you are through this whole thing and try to make it as positive as it can be. :)

KrIStiN said...

I think that is the coolest idea ever!!I have to agree with Emily, I know you are having a hard time, but you always seem so up in spirits and positive in everything!

Jill Asay said...

What an awesome idea! It will be such a fun thing for your girls to do. You have the best friends ever! It's so nice to have such wonderful support during this time!

Stacey said...

That is such a creative idea! The girls can be active in it and that makes it meaningful to them!

Vicki said...

That is a great idea! You guys should market it ;)

nina said...

What an awesom idea! Your such a good mom.

Tracy said...

Your creativity is shining through once again!! LOVE your idea!!
Keep hangin' tough!!

Abbey Chase said...

I'm glad you're excited! I'm excited about it too. I wish there were more that I could do.
I was thinking that towards the end, when you know the exact day he's coming home, we should make the last star Gold. I don't know, just an idea.
I'm really proud of you. Justin, too... We love you guys!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I love it!! What a great idea. Your girls will have so much fun, and what excitement they will have everyday to see another star go up. Good Job!!

Lundberg Family said...

Teri--you are so creative! I love that you can think something and make it happen! Plus it turns out so neat! I would love to see pictures along the way of your project. I'm glad you have such a good support system in place. Keep on keepin on!

Brook said...

How cool is that! What a fun thing for the girls and a fun thing to have to remember this time you all went through when he's home. Hang in there. We're thinking about you!