Saturday, February 21, 2009

Wal-Mart Weirdo

There have been 3 times in the past 2 months that I have had the exact same conversation with an old man in Wally World. This is how the conversation goes with my fellow shopper:

Man: "Those are some pretty girls you got there.
Me: "Thank you."
Man: "Did you get them off the shelf back there? I think they are having a buy one get one free sale."
(I only had Chuck and Justee with me because Syd was in school every time.)
Me: "Yep, they looked like a good deal."
Man: "It looks like you got yourself some keepers. Just hold on to your receipt."
Me: {fake, friendly, laugh}
Man: "Because in about 15 years, they are going to be getting drivers licenses."
Me: "That is true. I'll hang on to it." I try to start walking away, but he is not done yet...
Man: "Plus it will only be a few years before they start chasing the boys in the neighborhood."
Me: "Yeah, I hope that doesn't happen."
Man: "It will, and you'll want your receipt."
As I walk away, I thank him for the advice and say good bye.

Now, it wouldn't be so weird if I had only had this conversation once...but THREE times, that is a little weird. This man seems like just a nice old man that likes to talk to people while he does his shopping; but boy, you'd think he'd get tired of the same line. He must stop tons of moms in the store...that is why he can't remember that he has had this conversation with me two times before.
I really hope there isn't a fourth time...If there is, I think I am going to do his parts for him - Like when he asks if I got the girls off the shelf, I am going to say, "Yes, they were having a 2-for-1 sale." and then if he says, "You better hang on to the receipt." I'm going to say, "Yeah, because pretty soon they are going to get a license and start chasing boys, and then I'll want to return them."

5 comments:

nina said...

Terri, that is hilarious. I love your idea at the end about doing his parts for him. I read it to my husband and he got a pretty good laugh out of it too!

Stacey said...

You are so funny! Good idea of turning it around on him!

KrIStiN said...

ok...so..i had to laugh..and was a little shocked because there is an old guy at the walmart here and everytime he sees me with the girls..he says.."be sure you have a baseball bat handy because youre gonna need it when they are older..i also fake laugh and am thinking shut up old man you told me the same thing yesterday. never fails everytime i see him.

Vicki said...

That is pretty funny :)

Carola said...

I think the old man is being nice and is a bit forgetful, but he has some pretty sound advice.