Wednesday, February 4, 2009

No Exceptions

This may not be the right time to be blogging...while I'm still fuming from tonight's event.

When I showed up for volleyball tonight I was a little surprised to see a 10 year old boy in the gym...surely he isn't planning on playing with us, right? WRONG, as we started to divide the teams he jumped right in. I, being the soft-spoken person I am, took it upon myself to let the boy know that the rules of the gym are "must be 16 to play." He then informed me that his mother was a manager and that she said it was ok.
Ummm...nope...not going to work for me. I know that the rules clearly state that you have to be 16 to play, I don't care who your mother is.
I have expressed my feelings about how serious I take my volleyball nights in a post a few months back. I may not sound like the nicest person in the world when I make things like this an issue, but a rule is a rule. I am a black & white type of person...I don't see a lot of grays.

The boy left and the other players were thanking me for speaking up because they were thinking the same thing. We started our 5 on 6 game and the boy returned with reinforcements...his mom (who by the way isn't a manager as he claimed, but just an employee. She said that he is a big kid and she thinks it is ok if he plays. I stand there, a little irritated that all the people who were just thanking me, are now suddenly quiet. I discussed the rule with her but she didn't seem to care, and walked him into a position on the team with 5 players (yeah that was my team.) I'm not happy to say the least, but for now, I'll let it go.

So, I let it go and I'm still getting comments here and there from people on both sides of the net who are saying that he shouldn't be playing. -So where the heck were your opinions 5 mins ago when his mom was in the room?

After a game (in which my team lost) a few more people showed up to play. Now there are paying adults who are sitting out while this kid gets to play...I couldn't bite my tongue any longer (I think this is in my genetic makeup; and therefore, I'm not to blame.) I go to the front desk and confront mommy. I was very respectful and not at all rude...I promise
I just said that: I really don't think that it is ok for a rule to be violated because of who this kid is. There are lots of people in the gym who come every week to play and they are having to sit out so that someone who shouldn't be playing can play. It just isn't right. I told her that there are lots of other people who feel the same way (cause she asked) but that shouldn't matter; it should only matter that one person has a problem and the rule is clearly being broken, and that should be respected. She had a million excuses as to why he should be playing from "He's been here since 2:30 and he needs to let out some energy." to "He will only get better if he practices."
...Not going to cut it, you need to come get your son out of the gym.
She did, but I don't think I really got through to her. I'm pretty sure this boy will be back.

I just have to add that after the kid was gone, my team won. ;)

I guess I just needed to get this off my chest, and since my husband isn't here to vent to, I let loose here.

7 comments:

Vicki said...

That is super annoying! I can't believe she argued with the rule in the first place... I would ask to speak to the "real" manager.... You guys are paying members!

Abbey Chase said...

I love you!!!

Teish and Tan said...

Aunt Ter, i am proud of you. Oh my gosh i would of been so annoyed! Good JOB!!

Teish and Tan said...

By the way that was Tianna :)

Emily Asay said...

Amen. I appreciate people who are fair and assertive no matter what the circumstances are. Good fo ryou, i wish i was more gutsy:)

Trisha said...

Ugh people can be sooo annoying. I think it's great that you stood your ground. I think if it happens again you should say something to someone else who's really in charge! LOL You are one tough woman!! You GO!!

Carola said...

That's my Teri...way to go.(I should be more like you)