Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Jack-o-lanterns!

Tuesday night was our big pumpkin carving night! It was a lot of work, but a lot of fun too. We turned on "The Worst Witch" (an old classic Halloween movie that I LOVED as a kid) and got to work. I think the movie replayed 4 times before I was even near done.

I went to a site online where you can create your own templates. The girls had a lot of fun picking what they wanted their pumpkin to look like, then we printed them off.


Justee had fun playing in the pumpkin. I even caught her taking bites off the spoon she was using to clean out her pumpkin. The face Justee is making, kind of makes her look like her jack-o-lantern. ;)
Charlee poked holes along the lines of her face; she really wanted to carve too, but she is just too little. I helped her do a little bit, and then she got mad that I was helping and went to watch the movie. Sydnee did hers all by herself. (I cleaned up the cuts a little bit after she was done.) She did a great job.





Taking a break from carving to watch the movie:


Once I was finished helping the girls, I started on my own creations. I did a haunted house and a ghost with bats. I wanted to try the method where you don't cut out any pieces, you just scrap the skin so that it is thin and the light shines through. I did that with the haunted house. It turned out ok, but man it took a long time, and it was very messy.
The girls' faces:We got some lights that change color to put in the girls' pumpkins, so here is some of the variety:



After the girls were put to bed, I took on the task of creating a pumpkin topiary. I saw the idea on Tracy's blog and thought it would be fun. I thought it would be faster and easier than carving 3 pumpkins. Boy was I wrong. It took a long time to clean them all out, make them fit stacking, poke all the holes and stick the lights in. Then, as I was carrying the heavy thing to the front porch, I wobbled as I was setting it down and the top pumpkin fell off, pulling the lights out of it. I had to re-poke them in. I think it turned out pretty neat...not perfect, but it's DONE. Thanks for the idea Tracy!


The aftermath:


11 comments:

Tracy said...

I am so impressed!! What creativity you have!! The different colored lights are too cute!! AND...the topiary turned out AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing!! :-)

Stacey said...

Looks like you had a BUSY night! The girls are so precious. The topiary turned out great. You are ready for Friday!

Emily Asay said...

I love your pumpking topiary--really cute.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Wow, what talent. I love the topiary. That's a lot of work. I hope you leave it up until Thanksgiving:) Your girls are so cute, and it looks like they had fun. What is the site you got the templates off of??

Michelle Thompson said...

I love that topiary. It is a lot of work to carve pumpkins and a huge mess, but so much fun. Seeing the girls made us miss them. We were looking at pictures of Justee in the sink the other night and Jayson said he sure missed them.

Teri said...

The website I used for the girls to make their own faces is: http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/my-widget-familyeducation
I know I used a different one last year, but this was perfect for the girls.

nina said...

That is a really cool idea teri. I've never seen anything like that topiary.

Vicki said...

Very cool, love the haunted house... and the topiary. Did mom give you those pumpkins... or did you buy them there?

Jill Asay said...

Love the topiary and the lights you got for the girls' pumpkins are way fun!!

Ranee` said...

I think they turned out totally cool! I especially like the Haunted House

KrIStiN said...

Looks like you guys had fun! I have one question...where did you find that movie at to buy it? I have been looking all over for that movie forever, that was one of my favorites growing up, and I want the girls to see it too!! I've looked everywhere!