Wednesday, October 22, 2008

An Informative Post

Since Justin is still in the states right now, he can call everyday and text. That has been SO nice, but I'm getting a little spoiled by it. I get a "good morning" text every morning and after we talk at night I get a "good night" text. I carry my phone around with me every second of the day, because I don't want to miss the chance to text right back. It will be a lot harder when we don't get this luxury any more.

2 days ago Justin text me and told me he had gotten 15 shots in one arm and 4 in the other! I wanted to know what for; he told me the 15 were all for smallpox, and it was the same needle poking him 15 times. That seemed crazy to me, I've never heard this before...So, I looked it up. This video is what I found. It is very interesting and informative. It was made for people who need to learn how to give the vaccine (all I wanted was to see the vaccine administered.)

Follow this link and click on the #5 segment.

CDC Smallpox Vaccine Administration Video



Then Justin told me that you get a blister and then it turns into a scab, and you cannot touch it or you could spread the disease.


Here is the info they give people on how to take care of your vaccine site:

*Don’t touch a smallpox vaccination site. This is the best way to avoid spreading the virus. Frequent hand washing also helps prevent spreading virus in the event you touch the vaccination site by accident. An information sheet with detailed instructions about how to take care of the vaccination site will be provided to vaccine recipients.
*If 1,000,000 people get smallpox vaccine, up to about 600 cases of auto-inoculation (also called accidental infection) can result when people touch their vaccination site and then transfer virus to their eyes, genitals, or other itchy places on their body.
*Vaccinia virus can also be spread to others by touch. In the 1960s, the risk of spreading vaccinia virus to others (usually a household member) was about 30 per 1,000,000 vaccinations overall. Most cases of vaccinia caused by contact do not lead to serious illness. However, about 30% of such cases result in a severe skin infection in individuals who have eczema or other chronic skin problems.
*Until the vaccination scab falls off, avoid close or household contact with people who are exempt from getting smallpox vaccine themselves. Do not share sleeping space (eg. bed, bunk, cot) with these people. Do not share clothes, towels, linen, or toiletries either. Occupational settings (eg. vehicles, tanks, aircraft) are not affected, if the vaccine site is simply covered with a Band Aid and a sleeve.
*Today, there are many people in the community living with problems to their immune systems. Follow instructions about caring for your vaccination site to minimize the chance of spreading vaccinia virus to someone else.
*The risk of severe complications after smallpox vaccination for people infected with human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) is not known. At present, there is no evidence that smallpox vaccination accelerates the progression of HIV-related disease. Nevertheless, until additional information becomes available, it is prudent that people who have HIV infection not be vaccinated, except in an emergency.





None of it sounds any fun, but this would be a lot worse:

4 comments:

Vicki said...

UGH.. Teri those pictures make me cringe... seriously make that last one smaller...
'shudder'

I hope Justin is good at not touching the site... I would be terrible at it... but that picture might help keep my picky fingers off the scab.

Stacey said...

Ewwwww...I hope Justin is NOT touching his injection site. Both photos were informative, but.....ewwwwww!! I am so happy you have the chance to be in contact with him now. That is awesome!

Jamie said...

Ouch can I just say yuck? Holy cow!

John said...

Re the pic of the smallpox vaccinatin you posted several weeks ago, Is that you're husband's arm, or something off the web? It's huge.