Sunday, April 27, 2008

Weekend is Over

It is so nice to have Justin home. We went to Dinner Fri. night after he got back and we had big plans for Sat. The weather didn't cooperate with us though. We wanted to get some pots and plants and flowers and stuff for our patio, but it snowed and was supposed to get really cold Sat. night. So we had to hold off on those plans...oh well. Instead Justin helped me with my handouts for my YW lesson. The lesson was on the blessings of the house of Israel. It talked about how the members of the church are heirs of Israel and therefore entitled to the blessings promised to Abraham: the gospel, the priesthood, and eternal life. I went with the "heir" theme and found some cute crowns and put a quote I found online on them and some jewels (I wanted 3 jewels to represent these 3 blessings, but the crown had 4 prongs so that didn't work out perfect.) Then I made crown rice krispies treats. Syd and Char had fun helping me put the jewels on. I think it went well.

We had a really good sacrament meeting (even if I spent most of it in the fourier chasing Justee.) The speakers spoke on General Conference talks. Of course the woman speaker talked about Elder Ballard's remarks on mothers and all that they do. She said some things that hit me...She quoted that "the joys of motherhood come in moments." She then talked about how she has looked back through her journal and found little parts here and there that talk about the great times her family had and the cute things her kids did; and that was great, but she knew there were hard times and she hadn't written about them. She wished she had said more about the hard times and how she got through them because then her kids could read it and know that they weren't alone. I started this blog as a way of keeping a journal and I just felt like I had to put some things down here...I love my children and I love being a mom, but the joys come in moments. I have times where I feel like I have lost myself and I feel like I did not amount to the person I thought I would. I have a degree, but so what? What does that matter when I stay home? I haven't accomplished many things that I thought I would have. I chose to be a mother above those things (I'm not even thinking of anything specifically.) I know I made the right choice, but I don't feel like it is an easy choice. I don't think it is easy to stay home everyday and raise children. I hear other people talk about how wonderful it is and how happy they are and sometimes I wonder if something is wrong with me that I don't always feel that way. Then my girls do something that I think is absolutely adorable; something that no one else would give a second thought to, but because I am their mother I am filled with pride and amazement at how wonderful my kids are at that moment. The joys of motherhood come in moments...and they make the rest of the times worth it.

5 comments:

Jill Asay said...

Very cute handouts...you are so creative! I bet your young women love you as their teacher!

nina said...

I think a lot of us that are stay at home moms feel the same way that you do Terri. Sometimes people are afraid to say it because they are always trying to put there best foot forward. It is hard being a stay at home mom sometimes, but on the days that I feel that way, I remind myself that it's hard to go to work and be away from your kids too. I've been a stay at home mom and a working mom at different times in my life. And although staying at home is harder (believe it or not) it is more rewarding because you are spending time with your children and making sure they are being raised the way that they should be. I think your a great mother!

Lauren said...

You are so creative. I definitely didn't think you had that in ya. jk. You seem like such a great YW leader. I bet the girls love you. I am glad that you feel the same way that I do about being a mom. Hard job, but so worth it.

Kara said...

Those handouts are super cute. Where did you get them? I am thinking of doing a princess themed party for Katelyn's birthday and that would be a fun craft for them to do.
What a fun calling. I haven't done anything but primary and anything other than that scares me, but you make it look enjoyable. Keep up the good work!

P.S. Your pictures of the butterfly release are absolutely beautiful.

Rob said...

Don't worry too much about not always enjoying being the stay at home mom. I have been doing it for some 26 years (or more) and like you it wasn't all fun and games. But, I'm very glad I followed the prophets and stuck to it! :) It has been very rewarding and like you, the small moments have made it all worth it. Wish you were here for softball! And basketball!