Friday, September 5, 2008

I Joined the Meyer Reading Club

So I finally read the Stephenie Meyer books. It took my a total of 10 days to read all four books, not counting the 2 weeks to read the first 5 chapters in Twilight (it took a while to get into it.) I thought I would share my insightful (a hint of sarcasm) thoughts on the series without giving anything away for those who still haven't read the books. First off I enjoyed the books. I thought it was a fun story and I kept wanting to find out what was going to happen. I didn't turn into a crazed fan that could read each book 10 times (Dana;) maybe because I didn't have to wait for the release of the next book after finishing one, but I am looking forward to watching the movie when it comes out. Justin won't be around for that, anyone want to go with me? ;)
One thing that amazed me was the amount of typos in the books, especially in Breaking Dawn.

[I stopped typing to go check on Charlee and Justee, who are being too quiet in the living room. I found them with the container of cookie dough that Justin brought home last night from Papa Murphy's, eating it by the handfuls...not that I blame them, who doesn't like cookie dough; but jeez shouldn't someone be watching them?]

I never really fell in love with Bella, and I only cared what happened to her for Edward's sake. I felt like the books took too long to get to the point most of the time, the whole thing could probably be condensed into 2 books. One of the best parts (ok not really, but I liked it) was when Meyer avoided one of my pet peeves...most authors do get it right, which is why it bothers me so much when people say it wrong all the time...ok I'll get to the point now...She wrote "couldn't care less." Most people say "I could care less." That doesn't make sense because it means that you do care if you could care less, which is opposite of what you are trying to say. If you say you couldn't care less, then you don't care at all. That was a little off subject, so I'll end by saying that I did enjoy the series and I would recommend it to others; I just wouldn't call it a 'must read.'

I must be bored waiting for Justin to get home in order to have posted this...

3 comments:

Abbey Chase said...

That's so funny! I just got home from buying Eclipse and Breaking Dawn. I was a total hold out and had no interest in reading them! I've had Twilight sitting on my nightstand since last August... I needed a book to read during a road trip to Utah a few weeks ago and had read everything else in my house. It took me about a week to get through the first 3-4 chaps. and then about 4 days to finish Twilight and New Moon. I swore I wouldn't start the next one until I cleaned bathrooms. I guess I know what I'll be doing tonight...

I'd love to go to the movie with you. Larry things it sounds stupid! Give me a call & we can get together.

:)
Abbey

KrIStiN said...

So..i guess I didn't ever jump on the band wagon and read the books...i actually JUST started Twilight today...I haven't gotten very far, well...because...kids! ha ha..but so far..I'm not totally totally engullfed in it (is that a word) I've put it down several times, we'll see what happens....if I lived closer I'd go with ya to the movie..or you can drive to salt lake? That's close by me!!

nina said...

I just started the Twilight book too. I agree with you. It is a good book, but I do think the author could get to the point a lot faster. I skip through some of it. I'm curious if I'll be more into the other books.