Saturday, May 2, 2009

Little Gardeners

Three trips to the store for more soil and a few hundred dollars later....our humble garden is planted.

The girls were very excited about this project. After I got the planter box built (which was the easiest part of the whole thing,) we filled it with soil and began to plant. Sydnee kept telling me that she wanted to be a gardener when she grew up...I told her she was being one now, but she insisted that she wanted to be the kind that could do it all by herself. She also kept saying that she bet Grandma and Grandpa would be very proud of us...What do ya think, Mom and Dad? ;)

Here they are planting cucumbers upon Sydnee's request. I was only planning on strawberries, peas, a row of sweet peas along the back, and tomatoes; but the girls all really love cucumbers, so they were added to the mix. The addition of cucumbers made me have to move the tomatoes to pots.It's a 4x8 garden, which sounded plenty big to me when I started, but I think it could have been bigger...we'll have to see how this year goes, and if I don't kill everything, I might have to build another one next year. Keep your fingers crossed for me...I tend to have a black thumb...but my weeping pussy willow, in the background, is still hanging in there.Dozer better stay out...dumb dog.
Not too bad for a day's work, eh?

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I love working in the yard. I am so jealous that you can plant already. We can't until the end of May or first of June. I love the planter box. What a great idea. I wonder if you will have less weeds? I hate weeding the garden all summer. My flower beds just about do me in.

Emily Asay said...

wow, i'm very impressed

Jill Asay said...

It looks great! good luck with it!

Vicki said...

Looks good-- did you get corner supports to put on the outside of your box corners ? so the pressure and soil expansion don't pop out the seem? Bill suggested we do it with our boxes.

I hope both of our gardens grow :)

KrIStiN said...

woweeee look at that green green grass!! you're garden looks great. looks like the girls had fun...we may be moving there or somewhere close by if my husnband hets the job he applied for!

KrIStiN said...

okay just read my post..i swear i can spell..just typing with one hand..baby in the other!

Teri said...

Vic, I didn't put anything on the outside, but there is a support board on the inside of the corners...hopefully that is enough, if I notice any movement I'll know what to do now. Thanks. :)
How is your garden doing?

Carola said...

Very nice. Tell the girls they look great as gardeners and that I am proud of them and how they are so good at helping their mom.

Stacey said...

Very nice and how fun for the girls to be involved in the planting...does that mean they will help you weed? HA! They will be thrilled when all the yummy food is ready to be eaten!