Tuesday, March 11, 2008

I Guess it Could be Worse

I have been putting this post off for the last few days because I kept thinking something might change and then I would have to take back what I said, but I better just face the facts. Justin came home Sunday night with the news...He is going to Afghanistan in October for a year. Yep, I will be a single parent for one whole year. I think I feel worse for my girls having to deal with an impatient mother for that long. Maybe this is a trial I need so that I can learn to be a better mom. Justin will go to Kentucky for a couple months first and then they are supposed to actually be in Afghanistan on Dec. 24. We tried to talk to Sydnee about the situation, but she doesn't quite understand yet. She doesn't know how long a year is. She asked how many days is that? The answer 365 days made her jump onto his lap and she hugged him really tight. Justin also tried to explain it by telling her that he would be gone for one of every holiday... birthdays... ect. Sydnee asked if he would be gone for his birthday...he said yes...Syd told him, "Don't worry Daddy, we will still get you presents and make you a cake." Then she asked me in a whisper, "Can we save a piece of Daddy's cake so he can eat it when he gets home?" How could I say no to that? He might come home to a frozen, year-old piece of birthday cake... not to mention a wife who has gone crazy in his absence.

6 comments:

Kara said...

I'm so sorry to hear that! It certainly puts Jason's rotation period in perspective for me. Hopefully the time will go by fast. I know that I am far away, but if there is anything that I can do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Lauren said...

Oh, Teri. I do not envy. I'm sorry to hear that Justin will be gone and for so long. I hope that you will get the help that you need. Too bad I'm not in Greeley anymore. We could've had some great playdates with our girls. :)

Lauren said...

I meant to say I do not envy YOU. :)

Kathy said...

Oh Teri, I have tears in my eyes. I'm almost sick to my stomach. I guess you have to look at the big picture though. Justin is a wonderful man who realizes what a privilege it will be to serve his country. Heavenly Father will protect him, and guide your every day ups and downs. I am so sad for you. I remember years ago when my oldest brother was drafted to Vietnam, and for some odd reason I got to go to the train station in Laurel with Mom to see him off. I will never forget that anguish .......... but my brother did come home and my Mom did get through those two years. You need to count your blessings, especially the fact that your husband is a Priesthood holder and you never know what lives he'll touch while he's there. My husband is not a member of the church and it's been a long road having to raise my children by myself. Anyway, make the best of each and every day. How sweet that Sydnee wants to save a piece of cake for Daddy...

Ranee` said...

Wow, that totally sucks. I don't even know what to say except that I am sorry for you. I'm sure that you will be a great 'single' mom and that all will go well. Good luck.

nina said...

Wow... that is going to be a big change for you. I know that your strong though and you will be able to get through it. I hope it will only strengthen your marriage and make the both of you realize just how much you love being together. My husband has to travel a lot for his work and I know that doesn't even compare to what your about to go through, but it does make us even closer when were back together again. Good luck with everything.