Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Weekend in the Valley

We spent the weekend in Star Valley, surrounded by family. Of my Grandpa's 155 descendants, 129 of them were able to attend the funeral. (I stole those numbers from a couple of my cousins. Glad someone knows those kinds of things because those numbers are pretty amazing.) In honor of my Grandfather being a WWII veteran, he had a military service performed at the cemetery. I had several people ask me for some pics, so I figured the easiest way would be to put them on my blog. So this is my apology for all these sad funeral photos.





presenting the flag to my Grandma:









My mom has some wonderful brothers and sisters on top of having great parents. I forget how fun it is to talk to them until I get the chance again. It was pretty hard to spend much time with anyone in such a quick trip, but it was nice seeing so many family members even though it was for sad circumstances.
Justin, the girls, and I stayed with my parents and brother Rob at one of my Dad's good friend's cabins. It was in a beautiful spot, hidden in a little canyon. I'm pretty sure it snowed the whole time we were there.

We found a way to entertain ourselves one night...I challenged my Dad to a leg wrestling match and he showed no mercy. I do however feel the need to say it wasn't a fair fight. I had to reach my leg clear back to hook onto his...look, his foot is above his hip and mine is already above my head. ;)
I think it took him 1 sec to flip me....I will be working on my squats and looking for a rematch soon.
Rob was next on my list...
I won't show the proof of him beating me, but there is proof I beat him with my left leg on my sister's blog. :)
This didn't end pretty:

Vicki was my last foe... I'm not better than her at many things, so when I can flaunt a victory of any kind in her face, I don't like to pass it up.
Hey Vicki, it looks like I'm really struggling. hehe
This is the money shot.
We also got to spend some time with Ash and her fam. We all went to Sherlock Holmes on Sat night. It seems like it could have been an alright movie, if I would have been able to hear it. I was a little annoyed at the sound in the theatre the whole time.
I'm so glad that I was able to be there to show my appreciation and love for my Grandpa. I will never forget the love my Grandparents shared and how they valued their family.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

Great photos!! You're family will be thankful to have them.

Glad you had a safe trip. Isn't it sad that it takes a death for people to take time to get together and spend time with each other?!! It's a fact of life and the world we live in...but sad none the less! :-(

Stacey said...

I love the picture of your mom with her flower. Great photos!! I am glad you are home safe and got to see your relatives, even if it was so a sad occasion.

Jem said...

I love your dad. When I worked at the police dept I looked forward to him coming in. He would always make me laugh.