Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Watch Out Michelle Quan

Justin has been wanting to take the girls ice skating for a while, and after seeing how fun it sounded on my sister's blog I really wanted to go too. Neither Justin and I have been skating much, maybe a couple of times each; so when I stepped onto the ice, I was concerned how I would be able to help the girls let alone myself.

Luckily they had these buckets to help little ones out. It took Char a little bit to get the bucket moving. She was a little nervous about falling at first, but after the first couple of spills, she saw that it wasn't so bad and she kept getting back up and trying again.
Justee got her bucket and she took off. She was on a run with that thing. She wouldn't even let us think about helping her, she took off into the small crowd and entertained herself...which meant going against traffic once in a while...she was in her own little, happy, skating world. It wasn't too long until she experimented without her bucket. She was pretty daring.
Char followed Justee's lead and tried to go it solo a few times, but she quickly would make it back to her bucket.


Sydnee practiced by holding onto the side and letting go once in a while, but I think it was easier (for both of us) to hold hands and just go. Sydnee's main concern was being embarrassed if she fell down. I told her to look around and watch all the big people falling down (there were a couple of teenage boys and men who introduced their butts to the ice a lot...and hard.)
Sydnee finally convinced Char to ditch the bucket and join us. It was a workout for me trying to keep Chuck on her feet...I'm just glad I wasn't right next to Justin when he took a hard fall...he probably would have taken me down with him.
After 2 hours of hard skating Justee came to me and asked me to hold her while I was skating...I knew she was worn out, and it was time to go. I wanted to get a couple more quick snapshots and after a couple, Justee decided she didn't want to do that anymore.
She started sneaking away...
...and took off on her own.
It was so cute watching her skate around the ice. Justin took off to be there in case she fell. ...which she did, but she never cared too much.
The girls were immediately asking if we could go again "tomorrow." It was a lot of fun watching them improve. I think we will definitely have to go again soon, but with school starting back up tomorrow, it might be tough. I wish we would have gone before Christmas when Justin first mentioned it.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

What great photos. I cannot believe how much Justee is changing. What cuties. Glad you had fun!

Michelle Thompson said...

That looks like a lot of fun. I forgot to mention in my blog that we went ice skating over the vacation too! We got a new ice skating rink, which is really amazing for St. G. We didn't have cool buckets like you did though, but Jayden was asking to go again the next day too! Glad you had so much fun!

Vicki said...

So impressed with that little Justee girl. I definitely think you should get her in lessons... I'd love to have a relative in the olympics ;)