Monday, July 27, 2009

PC


Justin heard today that he made Pilot in Command. I'll try to explain a little about this. There are 5 men to a crew on the air craft: 2 medics, a crew chief, a pilot, and a pilot in command. The PC is in charge of the air craft. He makes all the decisions about whether or not to take the missions, and how the missions will be flown. The responsibility for every one's safety falls on the PC. As far as I understand it, the PC can have the pilot do the flying while he navigates, or he can take the controls when he wants to.
This is definitely a step up, but I'm not sure Justin is completely convinced that he wants all this new responsibility. ;)
In order to become a PC, a pilot needs: at least 500 hours of fly time, to pass a check ride (sort of a flying test,) and pass an interview with the Board (Board of what I'm not sure...just Flight Board maybe?) I think those are the basic requirements. Justin is at 605 hours. He has been flying for 4 years now (including flight school) and almost 200 of those hours have been logged in Afghanistan. It makes sense that the majority of his hours would come in the past 9 months, while he is doing this as his full-time job for the first time. All the previous hours were logged while he had a regular civilian full-time job to worry about too.
Justin's capabilities are endless, and I am proud of him.

9 comments:

Stacey said...

Congrats to Justin!! You should be very proud of him, Teri! Hope you are having a great week!

Lundberg Family said...

That is great! Congratulations Justin!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to the meathead! and that is truly said in the most loving way ;)
Justin you really are awesome and we are all proud of you.

Vicki said...

Dang it -- I was logged in as Jake again and didn't notice... it was me :)

Brenda said...

I'm proud of him too! Good job Justin!

Michelle Thompson said...

WOW! Justin we are so proud of you! You are an amazing guy! Good luck in your new position. I'm sure you will do great! By the way, I have never thought of you as a meathead. Your head is no bigger than Jayson's it is just a great place to house those extra brains that you two were given.

Jaime said...

Congratulations Justin! That is awesome. Good Luck to you and your new position! Teri, he'll do great!

Niccole said...

I take great comfort in knowing Matt is in Justin's capable hands when he is hanging out of the helicopters Justin is flying!!! Congrats! You guys are doing an awesome job! (But it's time to come home soon. Please.)

Carola said...

Justin, I am proud of you!