Friday, August 8, 2008

"Let me see the map."

So Justin and I went to New York to soak up some dirty, crowded, city living...I can still smell the "fresh air." It was my 3rd time in the city, but Justin's 1st; so I got to show him around a bit. I really shocked myself at how well I remembered where things were- being that I have very poor navigational skills. We stayed at Fort Hamilton in Brooklyn, so we braved the subway for a good hour to get into Manhattan every day. There is nothing like the NY subway...the smell, the filth, the rats (we only saw 2), the HEAT, the drugged out people, and the performers (at least that is what they think they are.) Justin must have the subway map memorized by now. He was constantly asking me to give him the map. He checked and double checked to make sure we were getting on the right train... I seriously thought I would strangle him.

We arrived in NY on Thursday and went to a game at Yankee Stadium. We are not Yankee fans in the slightest and our visit there only increases our dislike for them, but the stadium is legendary and this is the "Final Season" as they are building a new stadium. (It is one of Justin's goals to go to a game at every ball park.) I would never take my kids to a game there with the F bombs that were dropping left and right. I didn't even enjoy the game because we sat behind some people who weren't in their seats and refused to move, but insisted on asking other people to scoot down so they could fit one more illegitimate person next to them. Justin got into it with them and finally by the 6th inning they moved down the 10 seats to their real seats. In my opinion "The House that Ruth Built" is a HOLE! ...glad we got to experience it though We did all the usual sight-seeing: Empire State Building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, Ground Zero, Central Park, FAO Swartz... We went to The Phantom of the Opera and it was excellent. We witnessed an anti-war protest march down the streets...some of the things they were saying don't even make sense-where do people come up with these things? We also got tickets to the Late Show with David Letterman. That was a lot of fun even if Dave and the Donald (Trump was the guest) and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to politics...The show we were at is tonight's (Friday night) show, so we are going to watch it and see if we can spot ourselves in the audience. (Why is it such a big deal to see yourself on TV? I don't understand it.)I love this picture of Ground Zero because you can see Justin's reflection in the glass.

Being that we were so close to Boston (a 4 hour bus ride close) we headed to a Red Sox game at Fenway Park. Now that is what I call a ball park. We had a great time there and it was such a great atmosphere....total old fashioned family ball park. After the game we hopped back on a bus, for 5 hours this time, back to NY.
The Green Monster.
The only thing better than going on vacation, is getting home. I'm going to have to go along with the cliche NY might be a fun place to visit, but I could never live there...I don't like people that much.
We had a great time and I'm so glad that my parents kept our kids so we could take this trip. Thanks Mom and Dad!




5 comments:

Lauren said...

I'm so glad that you and Justin were able to go. It looks like a lot of fun. :) NYC is a fun place to visit, but I'm with you... I could never live there. Jeffrey served his mission there in the Spanish speaking. He has some interesting stories. :)

Emily Asay said...

that looks so fun, wish Michael would break down and do somethign like that with me!!!

Jill Asay said...

What a fun get-away for you guys! Sounds like you had a good time!

Kathy said...

Looks like you had the "time of your life" with your hubby. Those are special days - just the two of you. You still look SO pretty. I wouldn't have worried a bit about being on the subway or being at the game with those creeps - your hubby could make hamburger out of them !!! Actually , I would have loved to have seen that. He is still just SO dang cute and has ALWAYS been extra nice. Durtsche's simply have really nice children.

Jamie said...

Oh my gosh, Teri I am so stinking jealous! I wuold so love to go tour NYC and see all those sites! I'm so glad that you and Justin got to spend some quality time together before he leaves!