Saturday, April 9, 2011

A Six Year Old

This little girl is getting big. Charlee is still our quiet/shy one. She does have a stubborn streak and can get a little attitude, but overall she is pretty easy-going. She is doing great in kindergarten and she is pretty darn good at reading. She has lots of friends and even comes home with a few pictures and cards from boys. Chuck is our cuddler and our jokester. She has some pretty good one-liners for a kindergartener (wonder where she gets that.)



Chuck wanted her party to be at Bounce...which I love because it is easy entertainment for all the guests, and I don't have to worry about a messy house after it's over.

This is Char's first party where she got to invite "real" friends...and by that I mean friends from school and not just family or our friends who have kids her age. She picked her guest list all by herself. She got lots of great gifts and had tons of fun at her party. Afterwards she picked Texas Roadhouse for dinner.


I tried talking Justee into having a parrot cake because I thought it would be cool to make, but she was a no go. So when we went to the zoo last week, and Char was pointing out the pretty Macaws to me...I slipped in the thought that they would sure make a pretty cake. :) She bit and said that that was the cake she wanted. Yeah for me! and Chuck of course


She wanted a red one even though I again put in my 2 cents saying that red is really hard and it usually just looks pink, so a blue one would be easier....She was ok with pink and even thought it would be cool.

I made this cake bigger than usual because of her large party.

It started with 2 nine in. rounds and a 9x13.


After I finished the hard part of frosting all the colors, I used softened tootsie rolls for the branch and I planned to cover the pink with fruit roll ups to make it look red...but I was a little tired of it, and not sure how it would look to cover all the pink, so I decided to just highlight it.


This pic was taken immediately after I finished the cake (very important to do that because you never know when someone is going to drop tupperware on in.)


6 comments:

Lauren said...

Teri, that cake is AMAZING! Grace saw it and wants one for her birthday! You have the cutest girls!

xpressobn said...

Wow this is a great cake! My daughter's 2 and we made her an In The Night Garden Cake (not sure you have that in the states) but it was nowhere near as good as that! Beautiful!

Stacey said...

Looks great!! I can't believe she is 6!! happy birthday Charlee!

Vicki said...

Wow I didn't realize the cake was so huge. I seriously need you or Ash to come help me with my two April birthday cakes... the broken hand thing is going to make it interesting

Alyce said...

Very cool cake! And very pretty girls, Terry.

erika said...

to make red dye, use a lil black liguid dye, mixed with red gel.
just a tip xD