Monday, February 15, 2010

Happy Heart Cookie Day!

Sydnee had her Valentine's Day party at school on Fri. After having a child in school for almost the past 3 years, I have realized that school parties just aren't what they used to be. When I was in elementary school (here we go) we had great parties. We had V-day box contests. All the kids would come up with creative ways to turn a box or other materials into something cool to put their Valentines in. I remember a toaster being made with some saying (can't seem to remember right now) and a VCR once (Vicki did you make this one?), a lamp that said something like "you like up my life," a tv and so on. They were placed out in the hallway and everyone voted for the best one. It was a big deal. We also did this for pumpkins on Halloween. I remember making a baby one... I cut a Barbie's hair and put in in the top so it had a little curl and I put real baby pajamas on it and placed it in a doll carrier for it's little bed, stuck a binky in a hole and Vicki "helped" paint big eyes on it. It was really cute and I loved it....I may or may not have treated it like a real baby for some time after I got to take it home. I tied for 1st in our class competition (I remember the other boy had a Bart Simpson carved pumpkin)...our class had to re-vote several times and then I lost. :( I could go on about all the holidays, but...My point is....It is too bad that holidays aren't what they used to be.
I told Sydnee that when she got home we would decorate our V-day cookies. She was so excited and said that it was going to be the best day ever.

Her little (and I mean little...this girl is smaller than Chuck and she is older than Sydnee) neighbor friend Katelyn came over and joined in on the fun.

Every year I get better about letting go of control and letting the girls do what they want all by themselves. It is much messier, but less stressful and the girls have more fun. I think they are picking up on the less is better concept because their cookies this year aren't completely covered with layers of candy.

1 comments:

nina said...

How fun, I totally spaced doing sugar cookies with my girls!