Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Saturday in Japan

We packed fairly light for Japan...everything in backpacks (rather large, heavy backpacks (mine being the heaviest...good thing Justin liked to carry it so much;) ) because we would be moving around so much. On Sat. we walked a good distance to member's house...they had invited us for an early lunch before we left for Aizu Wakamatsu. I was nervous about people feeding us, because I wasn't sure if I would like the food. Ended up that the worrying was for naught...I loved this food. In fact, I think it was the best of the whole trip.
...just the beginning- there was so much food!

The man and the woman on the lower right were our hosts. Everyone else in the pic are guests. She spoke a little English. They were very nice.

After lunch they took us out for a view of the city. There is a HUGE Buddha statue...he is supposed to be protecting the city.

They took us to a library where we could see out all the windows:


This guy loved Justin. He was great. He sang us the theme song to Team America World Police...he didn't know what he was saying when the profanity came out. haha
After viewing the city, they all walked us to the train station.

When we arrived in Aizu, we were met by Chizuko and her son Haru, and her niece Ami. They were so kind and helpful. They drove us to our hotel and then to some fun places. I am not going to remember real names...first, we went to a place where 16 young Samurai warriors committed suicide...they saw their castle on fire and thought they had lost the battle...in fact, they weren't losing...one didn't succeed in his efforts and lived to tell the tale. This site memorializes them.





Justin and I decided we wanted to race up these stairs...There were 4 flights of them...Let's keep this brief...I won. :)


Ami showed my Dad how to pray.




A little rice field right where we parked the cars.

Next, we headed to a hot spring to soak our feet. The water was pretty dang hot, but if felt nice to sit and relax after I kicked Justin's butt earlier. It was at a hotel, and there were people eating outside in cute little hut things at the restaurant. It was a beautiful place and very peaceful with the light rain that was coming down.


When it was time for dinner, we went to a place where you cook your own meat. My Dad kept asking what kind of meat it was...he didn't really like the answer, "some kind of beef." I think he ate shrimp and rice.


You would think we would be done with walking for the night, but nope...Mark took us on a little tour and then we hit the sack...Sleep came easy this night.

1 comments:

Stacey said...

Great pictures! Way to beat Ju!! I am glad you liked the food. I don't know if I could have packed as light as you did...thanks for sharing all the photos.